expanding illegal no-go zones leaves 100s homeless

Imagine being grateful for the chance to return to your demolished home and sift through the rubble, to try to retrieve personal belongings, ID cards and papers, still-useable clothes and pots…

Imagine your house had been bulldozed, you’d been given 5 minutes to leave it, not been allowed to collect any of those cherished possessions, you’d not had the foresight to gather all the most important documents and memorabilia and keep them by the door anticipating such an event, you’d been commanded to run away run to the nearest city or you’d be killed, you’d watched from a distance as the military dozer ate your house, and you’d been too terrified (with reason) of being shot at if you tried to later return and collect belongings …so terrified you didn’t.

That was Manwa and Sharifa, mother and daughter, living in a house just a hundred metres from Gaza’s eastern border.

Stately Manwa, short and broad and strong and smiling.  A month and a half ago when we met she’d grinned, grinned, in welcome and in her customary nature.  She’d already lost much of her land to Israel’s “buffer zone” the 300m (in other areas more than half a kilometer) band of land along Gaza’s borders with Israel.  This ‘buffer zone’ is one of Israel’s many contrived [‘for security’] land-grabs, as is the Separation Wall [‘security barrier’] eating the West Bank, the closed military zones throughout the West Bank, the Jewish-only roads dissecting the West Bank, and Israel’s latest: the extended ‘buffer zone’ now declared a ‘closed military zone’ from the eastern border  out 1 km.  Manwa’s is but one of many households who’ve been forced off their land —in Gaza!! in Gaza!!! NOT in Israel.  This is Palestinian land, it must be highlighted. Palestinian land, it must be screamed –after Israel’s military assault on Gaza (the one that has killed over 1400 now…).

At 2:30 pm January 17, 4 massive Israeli tanks and 1 towering military bulldozer accompanied a smaller military bulldozer and invading, occupying Israeli soldiers as they blazed towards Manwa’s, yelling through a megaphone, ordering them to get out of the house.  Sharifa, 22, left first.  Soldiers asked her if there were any men inside the house, to which she replied ‘no’.  Manwa came next, also with hands in the air.  The question was repeated, soldiers not believing the women could stay by themselves, telling the women as much.

It was 3 weeks after Israel’s Gaza-wide air-strikes began, and the fact that Manwa and Sharifa had stuck it out alone in that isolated area is incredible.

“They told me our house was now in a closed military zone,” Manwas said. “They said it was a ‘decision from the top’ and that we had to leave immediately and walk towards Gaza,” she said.  “I refused, and tried to negotiate with them for time to gather our belongings.  They refused.”

Manwa was a safe distance away, watching, when the Israeli soldiers bulldozed her house at 5 pm that day.

This was one day before Israel declared a ceasefire (which Israeli soldiers promptly broke, in instances throughout Gaza) and the area was in the northeastern corner of the Strip. There would have been absolutely no possibility of resistance fighters being present, thus no ‘reason’ to demolish the houses (as Israeli war mongers attempt to justify their collective punishment –demolishing, bombing, setting fire to with chemical weapons, Palestinians’ houses and buildings if it is suspected that there may have been resistance in or near the buildings, or if one’s family has a member in the resistance, or if it is suspected that there may be a member of resistance in the family, or if one has the same name as a member of the resistance…).

Yet, strangely, illegally, Israeli war authorities were able to declare Palestinian land in Gaza a closed military zone and, thus, render the land vacate, and an estimated 400 people homeless (modest estimate based on 80 families with an average of 5 people per family) in the Beit Hanoun ‘buffer zone’ areas alone.


*Manwa, waiting for accompaniment to her newly-demolished home (photo: tales to tell)

At 1:40 pm, a delegation of about 15 international and Palestinian solidarity activists joined Manwa, Sharifa, and Manwa’s son Said, for the walk along the track 1.5 km out where the closed military zone began.  Manwa had asked us to come. She wanted to go home, even briefly, to try to find her papers and anything precious.

We walk past a plot of rubble which a week ago had been 3 houses.  Mohammed lived in one of them, with 5 other family members, and like Manwa was given just minutes to vacate.

The flat fields around us once held olive, lemon and palm trees, Saber tells us.  About 750 dunums (1 dunum=1000 square metres). “People from all over Gaza had jobs here. It is one of the best regions for agriculture in Gaza,” Saber goes on. He doesn’t need to spell out that all of the trees had been bulldozed, like the houses, over the years since 2003.  We know, are aware of Israel’s policy of razing Palestinian land.

We pass a house shell, with a yellow Fatah flag still flying, and are told that a mother from the Khadera family was killed in the shelling. Luckily her daughters survived.

Another house in ruins on the left side of the track. “There were goats and sheep in one area of the bottom level of this house,” we are told.  “The Israeli soldiers bulldozed it with the goats and sheep inside.” An old man sits next to his former home, concentrating on the fire that is boiling his tea water.

Down the track a little further we are directed to where the Wahadan family house was. “They destroyed the house, the water well and its pump too,” Saber tells us.

Proud Manwa narrates as we walk. “I was so scared when I saw the tanks.  My heart dropped to my feet,” she tells us.  She goes over the day of demolitions again, in detail, reliving it and making sure we understand that (and how) she’s lost her home.

We pass an F-16 crater, the kind you see all over, and then take a slight detour off the path, to go visit a shanty town of tin houses.  This is part of Manwa’s extended family, and they want to show us how even though the houses are over 50 metres from the missile crater, the impact of the missile sent shards of shrapnel slicing through the corrugated metal walls of their shack-home.  “The children are having serious psychological problems now,” Saber relates, telling us that the kids, around 2 or 3 years old, are traumatized by the explosion, the deadly fragments of missile which pierced their home.

When we are nearly at Manwa’s house we briefly discuss the importance of such accompaniments.  Gives people hope that they can return to their homes, if only briefly for now.  Challenges the illegality of Israel arbitrarily imposing and extending no-go zones at whim on Palestinian land.

We reach the house and I recall my first visit, when I’d been charmed not only by Manwa, Sharifa and Said, but also by the neat, tidy, homey house, had thought that it was the perfect hill-rise location with the possibility to grow the grains and vegetables one needed, graze one’s sheep.  It is a pancake of angles and debris now.  It is too tangled and the slabs too large to move without a bulldozer.  We can only surface-sift, and are unable to reach the closet which Said points out lies under an unmovable slab of concrete.  Manwa nonetheless smiles her gratitude at us for being here.

About 100 metres beyond, the electrified fence, and beyond the patrol road which carries the jeeps that buzz back and forth.  Some jeeps buzz by and we eye them, wary.  Yesterday, in Faraheen, east of Khan Younis, an impoverished agricultural worker was shot dead as he worked the land near the ‘buffer zone’ down south.  He was apparently the only bread-winner in the family and had held off doing any farm work in that area for some time now, worried about being shot. Poverty breeds necessity, and in Gaza that means risking death at the guns of Israeli soldiers when farming or fishing (or at home or at school or at mosques or in cars or…).


*tin box of possessions (photo: tales to tell)

I kick aside a rusted stove pipe, pluck out some notebooks with writing which could be valuable in some way to the family, shake the concrete dust off of some dresses and clothing items, find a tin box with necklaces and mementos. It all goes into a  plastic bag I’ve found in the ruins.  I step over the room with the animal feed, some of the sacks still partially filled with grains, and head to the corner where the closet is said to be. This is the most eastern corner, closest to the border.  We all watch the border area as we sift, hoping to find ID cards and anything useful.

But eventually we are defeated, cannot reach beneath the heavy top layer.  We must leave, and leave behind Manwa’s identity.

She smiles still.


*Manwa, with sparse recovered belongings, surface layer retrievables (photo: tales to tell)

As we walk away, 2 crisp cracks of gunfire, and a whizz.  ‘Warning shots,’ though close enough to hear that whizz.  A minute later, 2 more.

We’re luckier than the Khan Younis youth of Tuesday.


Suddenly, Home Was Gone

report from ISM volunteer on killing of the youth from Khan Younis:

Where is the Ceasefire?
27th January, 2009
Tara, Australian ISM volunteer

A young farm-worker, Arwan al Ibrim was murdered by Israeli military forces at approximately 9:45 am on Tuesday 27th January, in the village of Al Farahin, east of Khan Younis.

27 year old Arwan was working picking parsely and spinach in the village agricultural lands, approximately 700 m from the Green Line, when Israeli jeeps opened fire with machine guns from behind the Green Line – shooting more than 30 bullets in quick succession, eyewitnesses report. Many of the seven farmers working in the area scattered, taking shelter from the shower of bullets. Arwan, however, was shot in the neck, dying instantly.

Arwan had only recently returned to his job as an agricultural worker, after 6 months, as the area was considered to be too dangerous following the large-scale Israeli army invasion that took place there on 1st May 2008, and then the recent Israeli war on Gaza. Even though the area is still considered extremely dangerous, Arwan decided to return to work there in order to help buy medicine for his elderly, paralysed father. He was being paid just 20 shekels (approximately $6) a day to work there.

His mother laments that she and his father had begged him to stay home for breakfast, but Arwan refused, saying there was a lot of work to do, and that he wanted to get started before the Israeli army arrived and started shooting. Just two hours later, the family found out from the television that Arwan had been killed.

Later on the same day, in the city of Khan Younis itself, a young man riding a motorcycle was critically injured when he was fired upon from an Israeli drone. Hayan As Ser was taken to Nasser hospital where his condition reportedly remains critical.

These attacks came after one Israeli soldier was killed and three more injured when their jeep drove across a buried explosive near the Green Line, reportedly planted by Palestinian resistance fighters. However, despite claiming to have implemented a ceasefire from 2am on Sunday 18th January, Israeli forces have continued to shoot at civilians in villages close to the Green Line, including Al Farahin, on a daily basis.

In the nearby village of Khaza’a, Maher Abu Arjila, a 22 year old farmer was killed by Israeli soldiers shooting from behind the Green Line on 18th January, just hours after the ceasefire was supposed to come into effect. Another resident, Nabil an Najar, was injured when rubble fell on top of him as a result of soldiers shooting the building he was standing under.

On the evening of Sunday 25th January, Subhe Kdah, was also injured as Israeli soldiers shot into the village; and on Monday 26th January, residents report soldiers firing in the area of the United Nations school.

On the other side of the Gaza strip, Palestinian fishermen are also reportedly coming under fire on a daily basis, with one fishing boat captain, Ala al Habil, hospitalized with a gunshot wound to his lower leg, when he was shot at by an Israeli navy boat on the evening of Monday 26th. Another fishing-boat captain, Iyad al Hissi, was shot at repeatedly whilst in the wheel-house of a fishing boat that was less than one nautical mile from Gaza shore on Tuesday 27th. Witnesses say he managed to escape from the wheel-house without injury. In both cases, fishermen report that the Israeli navy boats were shooting to kill the captains.

Whilst gunfire on Palestinian fishing boats was a daily occurance throughout the last so-called Israeli ceasefire, human rights workers who were accompanying fishermen during that period suggest that the situation now is even worse. “During the last ceasefire, the fishermen were getting shot at every day, but now it’s happening much closer to shore – within 1 or 2 miles of the shore”, remarked one international human rights worker.

These recent violations come in addition to the shelling of Gaza’s port area that continued for five days after the announcement of the ceasefire – which resulted in a number of casualties; as well as the shooting of 7 year old Ahmed Hassanian in the head; and the bombing of Amal area, east of Beit Hannoun,- killing one, wounding another – making a mockery of any claims to an Israeli cessation of fire.

“Where is the ceasefire?” Arwan’s elderly mother demanded angrily. “They said there was a ceasefire, but there is nothing!”


see: Gaza desperately short of food after Israel destroys farmland

5 thoughts on “expanding illegal no-go zones leaves 100s homeless

  1. This is how the Israels grab land , by force, deceit and the silence of the rest of the world to this injustice. This has been happening for decades .My husbands aunt lived in Jaffa in the 1940s , there was trouble and her neighbours who were Jewish persuaded her to leave her house “just for an hour or two” she was good friends with her neighbours and had no reason to beleive they didn,t have her best interests at heart (which might have been true )she had no time to collect her things , but she tied her sheep near the door with some food for it to eat , then left with her husband.She could see her house from a hill nearby , it was taken over and she was barred from entering the area. She never saw her house again but heard an Israeli family were living in it , complete with all her furniture , clothes , food , pots and pans
    Yesterday in Davros the Turkish prime minister couldn,t hold his anger in any more and all diplomacy was forgotten and told Shimon Peres what he thought of him and stormed out of the press conference. We need more world leaders to show some of the same disgust with the Israelis..

  2. I couldn’t agree more Pamela. The theft and murder must stop. The world must confront these evil murdering Zionists and bring them to justice. Peres should have his Nobel prize removed for backing the massacres and the siege against Gaza.

  3. […] -At 2:30 pm January 17, 4 massive Israeli tanks and 1 towering military bulldozer accompanied a smaller military bulldozer and invading, occupying Israeli soldiers as they blazed towards Manwa’s, yelling through a megaphone, ordering them to get out of the house. Sharifa, 22, left first. Soldiers asked her if there were any men inside the house, to which she replied ‘no’. Manwa came next, also with hands in the air. The question was repeated, soldiers not believing the women could stay by themselves, telling the women as much. […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s