latest updates from Al Jazeera and russia today
Sources have confirmed to Al Jazeera that the death toll in Gaza has now reached 69.
Among those killed since Wednesday were 11 members of the Dallo family, whose residence was destroyed in an Israeli airstrike on Sunday.
Al Jazeera’s Nadim Baba, reporting from Gaza, described the site as being “reduced to a pile of concrete rubble” that locals were desparately trying to sift through.
The deaths of the extended family, well-knonwn among their community, has left some Palestinians to believe “the Israelis really do not care what they are hitting”, said our correspondent. [AL JAZEERA]
Al Jazeera’s Nadim Baba reports from the wreckage of a house in Gaza that was destroyed in an Israeli airstrike. VIDEO
So far, the bodies of 11 members of the Dallo family have been recovered from the site of the former residence.
Al Jazeera’s Nadim Baba, reporting from Gaza, has said that the eleventh member of the Dallo family has been confirmed dead after an Israeli airstrike destroyed their home.
The latest Dallo family death brings the total number of Palestinians killed to 68 since Wednesday.
The Gazan health minister, speaking at a press conference, called the airstrike on the residential area “a massacre”.
The destroyed building housed two families before its destruction. More than 30 members of the family have been wounded.
Al Jazeera’s Jacky Rowland, reporting from Gaza, has said that a family of nine Palestenians have been killed today in an Israeli attack on a residential area.
Another 15 people are believed to be still trapped underneath the debris of concrete and steel.
According to our correspondent, the plight of “one individual family has gripped Palestinians.” [AL JAZEERA]
Attacks on buildings housing international media offices were also reported. [AL JAZEERA]
Nov. 18. 15:28 GMT: Palestinian death toll rises to 65 people after the latest Israeli strike. [RUSSIA TODAY]
Al Jazeera’s Nadim Baba, reporting from Gaza, has said that the search continues for survivors of an Israeli air strike that killed nine members of the same family in Gaza.
Our correspondent said rescue workers worked frantically to pick up the debris from “the massive crater where the residential building stood”.
Five children were among the nine members of the extended family that died in the attack.
With darkness quickly falling, Al Jazeera’s Baba said “a frantic search … at top speed” has been conducted to see if anyone else is still alive under the rubble.
Though such tactics are a risk to anyone that may still be buried under the wreckage, our correspondent said the situation is “far from ideal [and] … time is of the essence”.
The deaths in the well-known extended family have left many in Gaza wondering if “anybody is safe … people really are very worried about their own safety” as a result. [AL JAZEERA]
An attack in Jabalia refugee camp has killed two Palestinians.
Medical sources tell Al Jazeera that Sunday’s deaths bring the total death toll in Gaza to 65 since Wednesday. [AL JAZEERA]
Three women and a baby have been killed in an Israeli strike on a house in Gaza City.
The death count from Sunday’s strike was five Palestinians, including an 11-month-old baby, a spokesman for the Hamas-run health ministry told the AFP news agency.
The strike on a three-storey building also left 10 people wounded, said Ashraf al-Qudra. [AL JAZEERA]
Nov. 16, 23:40 GMT: The hacktivist group, Anonymous, has claimed it has attacked the website of the Israeli government, http://www.tel-aviv.gov.il. The website was unavailable as of Saturday morning. The group also claimed it deleted a database at the Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The cyber attacks come as a part of the so called #OpIsrael launched by Anonymous to rally support for the Palestinians. [RUSSIA TODAY]
Nov. 16, 22:35 GMT:Five more Palestinians killed by IDF, bringing the Gaza death toll from Israeli attacks to 29 – Palestinian medical sources. [RUSSIA TODAY]
Nov. 16, 22:30 GMT: The United Nations has voiced concern about the number of child casualties resulting from Israel’s bombing of Gaza. At least 4 Palestinian children have been killed and over 60 injured since Wednesday in Israeli airstrikes according to the UN. The organization also believes that 50 Israeli civilians including children have been injured by Hamas rockets fired into Israel. [RUSSIA TODAY]
Israeli foreign minister Avigdor Lieberman, in an interview with Israel’s channel 10, hinted at a ground operation in Gaza but said it would not attempt to “topple Hamas”: [AL JAZEERA]
“We are definitely considering a ground operation, but toppling Hamas, I think that’s something that the next government will have to decide,” he said.
Among those killed on Friday was a two-year-old Palestinian boy. [AL JAZEERA]
Nov. 16, 19:34 GMT: Israel’s Channel 10 claims that senior Defense official Amos Gilad is in contact with Egyptian officials in a bid to reach a ceasefire that might be achieved within 24 hours. [RUSSIA TODAY]
The Israeli government has given the green light to activating up to 75,000 reservists, according to local media reports. [AL JAZEERA]
Israel on Friday evening sealed off all the main roads around the Gaza Strip, declaring them to be a closed military zone amid increasing signs that the Jewish state was readying for a ground offensive.
“There is a closed military zone in the area,” a military spokesman told AFP, saying that road 232, route 10 and part of road 4 had been sealed off to all non-military traffic.
“These are the main routes around the Gaza Strip and they have been closed to traffic,” he confirmed. – Agence France Presse [AL JAZEERA]
According to Al Jazeera’s reporter on the ground, a recent airstrike in Mghazi refugee camp in the central area of Gaza kills 3 Palestinians and wounds several others, increasing the total death toll to 27.
In addition, the Palestinian factions released a statement following their closed-door meeting in Gaza City, in which they blamed Israel for the escalation. They also expressed their right to defend the Palestinian people, and that they had received offers from Arab and EU mediators to broker a ceasefire agreement but [the Palestinians factions] have refused. [AL JAZEERA]
Israel’s government is seeking ministerial approval to recruit up to 75,000 reserve soldiers as it presses a relentless campaign against the Hamas-run Gaza Strip, the cabinet secretary said on Friday.
“Cabinet Secretary Zvi Hauser has started to conduct a phone vote among government ministers for approval to recruit 75,000 reserve soldiers,” Hauser said in a statement on his official Facebook page. – Agence France Presse [AL JAZEERA]
The Israeli army has announced closing three roads around the Gaza Strip – Reuters [AL JAZEERA]
Fighting has reportedly continued along the Israel-Gaza border as Hesham Qandil, Egyptian prime minister, made a brief tour of the damage.
Friday’s fighting saw at least three Palestinians die in air strikes as Israel said it would hold fire during Qandil’s three-hour visit to the Gaza Strip, provided Hamas do the same. [AL JAZEERA]
Speaking in Gaza, Qandil said:
This tragedy requires an urgent intervention, serious and honest action from all sides. This is what Egypt has started to do and will continue to do until this aggression is ended, until Palestinian national unity is achieved to the interest of the Palestinian people, until lasting peace is established and the Palestinian state is set up with Jerusalem as its capital.
Turkish Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan decried Israeli’s air strikes on Gaza on Friday as a pre-election stunt and said he would discuss the crisis with Egyptian President Mohamed Mursi in Cairo this weekend.
Erdogan said he would speak by phone with US President Barack Obama later on Friday and that Ankara was also seeking talks with Russian President Vladimir Putin amid the prospect of a full Israeli ground invasion.
The United States says it has asked Turkey and Egypt to encourage the Hamas government in Gaza to cease rocket fire into Israel, but Erdogan laid the blame for the deepening crisis firmly on the Jewish state.
“Before this election they (Israel) shot these innocent people in Gaza for reasons they fabricated,” he told reporters in Istanbul. “The dominant world powers are now making the Gaza people and fighters pay, and as the Republic of Turkey we are with our brothers in Gaza and their just cause.” [AL JAZEERA]
Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi branded the ongoing Israeli assault on the Gaza Strip in which 23 Palestinians have been killed as a “blatant aggression against humanity,” the official MENA news agency said.
“Egypt will not leave Gaza on its own, and what is happening is a blatant aggression against humanity,” he said, as his prime minister, Hisham Qandil, visited Gaza vowing to boost efforts to secure a truce to end the bloodletting. [AL JAZEERA]
Nov. 16, 10:28 GMT: Tunisian Foreign Minister Rafik Abdessalem is set to visit Gaza on Saturday. [RUSSIA TODAY]
Nov. 16, 10:12 GMT: The Guardian’s journalist Harriet Sherwood tweets that medics at the Gaza City’s Shifa hospital say there are no more ICU beds. They are now trying to evacuate patients to Egypt. [RUSSIA TODAY]
Nov. 16, 09:09 GMT: Egyptian PM Hisham Kandil says, “What I am witnessing in Gaza is a disaster and I can’t keep quiet. The Israeli aggression must stop.” [RUSSIA TODAY]
Nov. 16, 09:04 GMT: Ma’an news agency reports that the bodies of two children, who were killed in the latest Israeli strike, have been brought to the hospital while Egypt’s PM was there. [RUSSIA TODAY]
Nov. 16, 08:41 GMT: The ceasefire, promised during the Egypt’s PM visit, has been broken both by Israel and Gaza, with Tel Aviv bombing the al-Qassam Brigades commander’s house in Gaza. Hamas also says two Gazans have been killed in a strike. It is not yet clear whether those were one or separate incidents. [RUSSIA TODAY]
Ismail Haniyeh, head of the Hamas government in Gaza, and Egyptian PM Hesham Qandil have entered Shifaa Hospital in Gaza City to meet with injured Palestinians. [AL JAZEERA]
Israel will stop its offensive action in the Gaza Strip during a three-hour visit by the Egyptian prime minister to the territory on Friday, a senior Israeli government official said.
Egypt’s Prime Minister Hisham Qandil prepared to visit the Gaza Strip in an unprecedented display of solidarity with Hamas fighters embroiled in a new escalation of conflict with Israel.
“Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu has agreed to an Egyptian request to cease all offensive operations in Gaza during the visit of the Egyptian prime minister there this morning, which is supposed to last for about three hours,” the official said.
“In the answer that has been forwarded to Egyptians, we’ve said that the Israel Defense Forces will cease fire on the condition that there won’t be fire from Gaza into Israel during that period,” the official said. [Reuters] [AL JAZEERA]
As Israel continues air strikes in Gaza, its army is also increasingly moving to war tactics online. The Israeli army announced its military operation not through a news conference, but on Twitter.
Both the Israeli army and Hamas are posting updates on their attacks in real time. Israelis and Palestinians used dueling hashtags as they battled for control of the narrative on social media.
Twitter also became a vital outlet for Gazans to spread information even after the power was cut off. The hacker collective Anonymous is reportedly fighting to keep Gaza online after fears spread that the Internet might be cut. [AL JAZEERA]
In this episode of The Stream, we speak to:
Avi Mayer @AviMayer
Director of New Media, Jewish Agency for Israel
According to Al Jazeera’s reporter in Gaza, the three Palestinians killed in the latest Israeli airstrikes on Beit Hanoun were three children aged nine, 14, and 16 years old.
An Israeli airstrike killed a UN school teacher in Gaza on Wednesday, a UN spokesman said. [AL JAZEERA]
Marwan Abu El Qumsan was in a car near the scene of a strike on the Palestinian territory. The Arabic teacher at a UN school was killed and his brother severely injured in the blast, said Chris Gunness, a spokesman for the UN Palestinian refugees agency, UNRWA. – Agence France Presse [AL JAZEERA]
Israeli forces move towards the Gaza border in prelude to possible ground offensive – Associated Press [AL JAZEERA]
French President Francois Hollande has begun talks with Israeli Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu and other world leaders to avert an escalation of violence in the Gaza Strip, Prime Minister Jean-Francois Ayrault said on Thursday. “It’s time to stop this escalation, which is dangerous for the security of Israel and its people and for that of the Palestinian people,” Ayrault told reporters during a visit to Berlin. France had made “direct contact” with Netanyahu and Egyptian Prime Minister Mohamed Mursi, he added. – Reuters [AL JAZEERA]
18:23 GMT: An IDF source says the air assault on Gaza will be renewed over the coming hours, says the IDF has approved plans for the next stage of the operation, Haaretz reports. [RUSSIA TODAY]
Aid workers for the UK charity Human Appeal who are based in Gaza witnessed an Israeli shelling of an area just yards from where they were. [AL JAZEERA]
This experience started earlier in the day. We were visiting a Human Appeal farm, where the locals are trained in agricultural skills, given jobs and are able to cultivate crop and rear livestock.
Around 4pm in the afternoon, without warning, two bombs landed 300meters from where we were standing, hitting a residential area in front of us. This was the start of systematic shelling across all of Gaza. Countless people have been injured and the death count is continuing to rise.
4 children among the 13 Palestinians killed in Israeli air strikes on Gaza, reports Hamas Health Ministry. [RUSSIA TODAY]
02:34 GMT: Russia hopes the UNSC will convince Israel to cease fire, said the country’s permanent representative in the United Nations Vitaly Churkin. [RUSSIA TODAY]
01:57 GMT: Worldwide protests are being planned to protest Israeli strikes in Gaza. People in the US, the UK, Israel and many European countries plan to gather to show their concern over escalating violence in the Middle East.[RUSSIA TODAY]
00:51 GMT: The United Nations Security Council has called an emergency meeting to discuss escalating tensions between Israel and the Palestinian territory of Gaza. The meeting is scheduled for 0200 GMT, and will take place behind closed doors. [RUSSIA TODAY]
00:02 GMT: Palestinians reports 15 people dead and over 100 wounded since the beginning of Operation Pillar of Defense. [note: this does not include those assassinated since earlier in the week, including: (source) on Monday, November 5th, Israeli forces shot and killed 23 year old Ahmad Nabhani when he “approached the border fence with Israel.” According to at least one account, Nabhani was mentally challenged. Then, on Thursday, November 8th, the Israeli Occupation Forces – eight tanks and four bulldozers, to be exact – invaded southern Gaza, shooting and killing a 13-year old boy. ] [RUSSIA TODAY]
17:45 GMT: Health minister says 10 people killed in 20 airstrikes on Gaza Strip today, including 2 young children according to AP. [RUSSIA TODAY]
17:30 GMT: Medics in Gaza report more than 30 injuries in the last attack on Tal Al-Hawa most of whom are kids and women, according to tweets from inside Gaza. [RUSSIA TODAY]
PHOTOS FROM VARIOUS INTERNET POSTINGS:
A general view shows a crater at a spot targeted by an Israeli air strike in Gaza City in the early hours of November 15, 2012. (AFP Photo / Mahmud Hams)
Palestinians wheel a wounded child into a hospital after an Israeli air strike in Gaza City November 14, 2012. (Reuters/Mohammed Salem)
Palestinians help to evacuate a woman following Israeli air strikes in Gaza City November 14, 2012.
A man carries the body of Palestinian boy Walid al-Abadlah, who according to hospital officials was killed in an Israeli air strike in Khan Younis in the southern Gaza Strip November 15, 2012. (Reuters / Ibraheem Abu Mustafa)